September 13, 2011

Vulnerable (First Draft)

Vulnerable


You are the voice in the distance
That wakens me, in the darkness, to smile.
Away from the speed, away from the cars, away from the lights that
Blind and distract and expose and illuminate!
The deep recesses of holes and longing.



You fill my head with dizzy notions of
Springtime, of grandeur, of touch, of embraces;
You stir up the “eager” that thought it was dormant.


My fears are laid open, left vulnerable for birds.
But be, instead, my eagle 
That chases away the gnashing of claws;
Be, instead, the surge of passion 
For living, for doing, for taking the next steps:
     The next steps like a baby
     The next steps of hard labor
     The next steps of earned duties
     The next steps of trusting again…


No one knows what the future holds,
Nor know I the color of tomorrow’s moon.
Yet, the moon rises, while waxing and waning,
The rains pour out the juice of the flowers,
The panther sleeps in the lone branch in the sands.


Let me breathe in the nectar of encouragement, of kindness.
Let me take in the strength that you lend me each day.
Let me learn, once again, the lesson I’d learned
(many times ago, many times yet to come):
I am me, you are you. 
Let it be.
I am strong, you are strong.
We must be.


So sing me a song of the sleepless sands
That lulls me to confidence of spirit.
May I shine in the darkness that creeps ever-present,
Ever a threat to new hope.


Hope, be renewed. Hope, stand more firmly.
You glow with an ever-present fire.
Warm the tips of my fingers to the depths of my soul—
Keep the voice ever-whispering, “I love you.”


originally written, EAG
September 13, 2011
8:10 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment