October 26, 2012

"I celebrate & sing myself"


“I celebrate & sing myself”
(a poem inspired by Walt Whitman)

I sing myself in words that fill my life
                Words that share myself with yours
                              that share my heart with yours
                              that share my eyes with your imaginings

But I am ever blind, then see—
                again, again I learn again
                stories
                (and dreams)
                of who I am again.

Somedays I am the scholar, with unquenching thirst for knowledge and numbers
                (blind to feelings or practicality)
Somedays I am the homemaker, with aromas (paprika and pinesol)
                pervasive along with ordered chaos
Yet other days I am the sloth, with chocolate, popcorn, and tactile-glee
                (blind by shutting out the daily pressures on myself)

But most of all, on most of days
                I’m merely just the rolling tide of
                emotion, feeling, empathy, misery
                that I embrace with emerald pools for eyes.
                I share myself with you and take your share of you
                because only in our life together
                (with God & nature and water & things)
                does life mean anything in song
                               

Elizabeth Gay
1.11.2012
910am

No comments:

Post a Comment