July 11, 2014

Just Because/You Love Me

Just because I'm a nerd
doesn't mean I don't enjoy cursing, or
enjoy a frivolous night of tomfoolery on the town.
Just because I'm a nerd
doesn't mean I prefer the company of books over people
(though in some moods that might be true).

Just because I'm an English teacher
doesn't mean I am continually critiquing your grammar.
I say words and speak without thinking and use "it," "thingie," and general gestures that run over into impropriety
Or use a bakcWrd verb or splell chk.
Just speak.

Just because I'm married
doesn't mean I don't want to hear I look beautiful, or
have a man be interested in me as I walk by in something cute.
Just because I'm married
doesn't mean I have children, am expecting children, or can't wait for the day to have children.
I've got a life to lead and discover and make mistakes in for myself!

Just because I'm married to the military
doesn't mean I have an American flag pasted on all my walls, or
know the proper salute for identifying ranks and the latest politics.
Just because I'm married to the military
doesn't mean I will stop seeking a dream of my own and a career that fulfills me.

Just because I'm confident on the outside
doesn't mean I can't be hurt by your words, mean glances, or other disrespect;
I'll just act as though I'm more resilient.
Just because I'm an empathetic soul who feels the world to experience it
doesn't mean I won't block you out if you continue to demean or yell or otherwise propagate the negative;
I'll labor with the decision, but, once it's made, I'll not rescind it.

Just because you see me doesn't mean you see me.


Very few see me because, only then, you love me.


514pm
7.11.2014
EGH

in response to Lord of the Flies lesson planning

No comments:

Post a Comment